Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stupid


I am not quite sure when it happened. I cannot pinpoint a specific day, or even a month. I think it has rapidly deteriorated in the last two weeks, but I can't be sure. Somewhere, some how, I have gone stupid.

A few weeks ago, as I barreled my car through the night sky trying to accomplish the day's tasks, my cell phone lit up the cup holder next to me in the car. On the other end was a concerned parent of a student I tutor. She wanted to make sure everything was ok. Confused, I responded, "absolutely, every thing's great." She then proceeded to tell me she was concerned since I didn't show up to the house today at 4:00pm. Who forgets to go to their job?

Last week, in an unsuccessful attempt to sound semi-intelligent and simultaneously spiritual, my soliloquy abruptly ended when I forgot what I was talking about in the middle of a sentence. Who forgets words? In a coherent order? To make sentences?

This morning, in it's very wee hours, as I drudged out the door, and smashed a toe into the back fender of a Barbie scooter on my way into the car, I got my phone out to let someone know I was on my way to take them to the airport. As I stared at the phone waiting for my car to warm up, I couldn't remember the phone number. I scrolled through the out going call log to find the number and waited for the number to look familiar. I pushed send when I landed on one that I had called several times in as many days. One ring. Two rings. Three rings. Crap! Wrong number. Who forgets their mother's phone number? Who randomly calls people at 5:00am?

I think my brains are falling out. Can that happen? Does it happen when you clean your ears too much? Or is it keeping up with the weekly schedule? Or does it rapidly magnify when you have to ask three children four hundred times a day to take out the trash, clean their toys up, and pick up their socks so the dogs don't chew them?

I am sure it is related to the grey hair I found sticking out of my scalp, right near the temple of my left eye, openly mocking me in my peripheral vision. I yanked it out.

I am not old and I am not dumb. At least in my own leaking mind.

4 comments:

Chad said...

You're doomed, but I have news for you, it didn't just start. Hahahaha. I got up and got ready for work the other "morning", and didn't realize I was 5 hours early until I got in my truck and noticed the time on the radio.

Kristin said...

there's an episode of Friends where Chandler says to Joey, "when there's resistence, you're supposed to stop." (referring to cleaning your ears with q-tips. haha. i thought of that when you made the comment about cleaning your ears. haha. and you're not alone. i have many moments like yours. i left my wallet at the check out of Albertson's and didn't realize it until 2 days later but I didn't know where I had lost it. I just so happen to call and miraculously it was there!

Karen and Joe said...

you said it not me!! haha jk!
If that was really your FIRST gray hair, your aren't doing so bad! We all have stupid days or weeks, it's just time to plan a vacation! :)

Haley, Brad, and the gang said...

all I know is that chocolate cures a wealth of medical mysteries:) I thought about you on valentine's day when I put our cake on the beautiful plate you gave me for my b-day years ago, and then again at fc tryouts when all your board "buddies" were helping out!