Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Morning Song

I fear I may have missed my calling in life. Sure, I enjoy cracking jokes, writing, singing in large, very large groups, but really what I love is food. Any kind of food. Right down to scrounging for the change at the bottom of my purse to sample the new favor of gum from Orbit.


I am the one who tivo's shows on the Food Network. I am the one who secretly wishes I could attempt the "kitchen sink" challenge on Man vs. Food. Not because I believe I need two gallons of ice cream to soothe myself, but the thought of choosing six flavors of ice cream to ping upon thousands of my taste buds is my idea of going to my happy place.
All of my dream vacations revolve around food to some degree. Before I die, and preferably before I am 40, I must visit Hershey Pennsylvania. I believe heaven is waiting for me there in a giant tub full of warm chocolate at their chocolate spa. On my bucket list is also Vermont, to not only see the trees change in the fall, and witness the sap dripping from trees, but also to commune with Ben and Jerry in all their glory. I must visit England, not just to see Shakespeare's home, and the bridges William Wordsworth sat upon while composing, but to bask in the glory of as many free samples I can consume without hurling at the Cadbury factory.
However, the one attainable manna that has alluded me in the 11 states I have resided is the chicken and waffles. There is no combination I am more fascinated by, and nothing my taste buds crave more than the heat of the hot sauce against the moist juices mingled among spices in a beautiful piece of fried chicken all while the wafting aromas of vanilla and warm maple syrup from a crisp waffle await me.
I have scoured Zaggat in search of the manna. I have tried to convince my husband that two hours is not an unreasonable drive for a perfect meal. This unattainable meal has now become more than a bucket list check to mark off, it has entered the realm of birthday wishes. I dream of a birthday not with cake and ice cream, but a nice big candle in the middle of a piece of fried chicken atop a waffle... I've always been a simple girl...

7 comments:

Kristy said...

Kristi, you're so funny! I can relate to using what I'm eating as a guide to how much fun I'm having. Cannot imagine that chicken and waffles would be a good combination though!! You'll have to let me know. :)

Chad said...

You probably like the ketchup flavored potato chips they sell in Canada too, don't you?

Chicken and waffles? Really? I love food as much as the next guy but c'mon!

I do dip my fries in my Frosties, however.

tollestrupfamily said...

You HAVE to come to Hash House in Hillcrest San Diego. I tried it there for the first time and it was AHMAZING! This just means you have to come visit San Diego soon!

Karen and Joe said...

simple but CRAAAAZY girl! chicken and waffles??? I'll take your word for it! hahaha hope you get your birthday wish!

Rural Dee said...

Hi Kristi, I know we barely know each other, but I am adding you to my blog links! And holy moly, no wonder you are in ANWA. With all those scentastical descriptions, you are making me drool!!

Sally said...

Ok, have you had the pina colada gum? YUMMY!

Balcena Family said...

I bet we could find it for you in Alabama...I mean, really, if it's fried, it's here somewhere!