Monday, September 14, 2009

On My Own


I love words. Very rarely am I at a loss for them, and there is so much to be conveyed with words. Who couldn't love a word like onomatopoeia. Or when doesn't a good "gosh friggin' dang it" make you feel better? Over the years I have become particularly fond of the words squishy, zen, serendipity, clandestine, smoky, and a few others which shall remain nameless in this here family oriented blog.


But the greatest words to be heard in the house lately have been, "Momma, I gotta go potty." After the initial frenzy to get the wee one to the pot before any accidents occur, there is a moment I have standing there in the bathroom, resting one arm against the marble sink, that I swear I hear the sound of a cash register spinning and the click of coins rolling to a stop in their bowl at the edge of the machine.


Upon completion of potty duties and the "atta girl, way to go, you're such a big girl, I'm so proud of you," congratulatory speech, the corners of my mouth turn ever so slightly in the upward position as I mentally erase diapers from the grocery list, and convert their monetary value into a good book or a pack of chocolate covered strawberries.


Now, about that forth one...

9 comments:

Haley, Brad, and the gang said...

kristi,
your little one is so cute, and she will be even cuter when she is completely potty trained! i love keeping up with my moved friends on their blog. we are due to add to our brood october 20th.
love, haley

Marielle Carlisle said...

I love that picture! Is she getting in some light reading since she's got the time?

We wanna come over and play again once the kids are healthy and non-contagious.

Chad said...

I can't wait for the huge raise when we no longer have to buy diapers or formula.

I read my scriptures on the pot too. Awesome.

Karen and Joe said...

I'm so jealous, can Reagan come over and teach the twins how she did it?? hahaah

smartquacker said...

Very cute picture!

Sally said...

So gosh dern adorable!

Kroeger Klan said...

Jealous!!!

Nancy Vaillancourt said...

Hi Kristi! You are so talented! You should seriously become a writer. That is great about the potty and all, but my question is, does she sleep yet? I am in some psycho land of sleep deprivation and I can't find my way out. Never has the wee one slept more than a few hours at a time, and that is a good night. Help!

InOv8r said...

Cute picture!