Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Stayin' Alive

I feel like an amnesia patient who has recently awakened from a coma and is really ticked off that she cannot account for the last nine months of her life. I am not sure where the time went. Although, soccer, dance, gymnastics, volunteer work, tutoring, and digging down deep to apply my creative side have undoubtedly spun the hands of time faster than I would have liked.

Hollywood and Curly Sue finished their school year last Thursday. There was a slight moment of panic when I looked at Curly's report card and it didn't say she was promoted to first grade, but her grades indicated that there shouldn't be any shockers come August. She has come along way since her trepidatious first assessment before kindergarten last August. She doesn't cry every day when she comes home from seven and a half hours of school anymore. She is above benchmark in all of her reading assessments, which is no small feat after my minor (we'll use that term liberally) freak out on the teacher when I discovered Curly was actually going backwards in December. She likes school and the friends she has made. She loves to tell me about Shannon's favorite color, and that Alexa only likes jelly on her peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with no crust. She is happy. What more could I ask for?

Hollywood didn't finish too shabby either. He wants to join National Honor Society next year. He had a thrid grade recorder concert a few weeks ago and rocked it. We have never really had to worry about him adjusting to new environments. After all, this is the kid that as a toddler, would walk up to random kids in the grocery store and ask if they wanted to play (which incidentally would explain his teacher's comments that he has a difficult time working independently and staying on task). His class had to vote on awards that each of the students received at the end of the year. He received Most Dependable, and Biggest Helper. I told him those were admirable qualities in any human and he should be proud that people recognized them in him. Five minutes later he thumped Curly on the head with his water bottle.

Flag football is nearly over and piano lessons start next Wednesday. Curly's moving up a level in gymnastics next week. The wee one is talking in full sentences. She makes what she wants known. She is learning to swim at the water park when we go. She thinks the walls are her blank canvas. The hands of time are not showing any signs of slowing any time soon. I guess I should just hold on for the ride.

1 comment:

Kami said...

Sounds like you all survived that school year. On to the next right? I can't believe that Kinder is all day there. Crazy adjustment for sure. Flagfootball hey? Kai wants to do that, but you know the size of my boys, I think we will stick to non contact sports just until he at least reaches puberty. We can always hope right?