Friday, May 29, 2009

Slumber My Darling


Dear Easton,

After being with your mommy and daddy last week I have thought a lot about how enormously unfair life can seem, and about why you mortal sojourn was so unexpectedly brief. I have thought about your perfect, tiny fingers, and your little white page boy cap. So often I associate a page boy cap on a young boy carrying bundles of newspapers, announcing the news of the day. You too have been called to deliver a message, one of far greater significance than the daily headlines.

When your mom tucked your tiny body in to wake another day, my heart nearly broke in two. Your mommy is a remarkable lady. I am sure Heavenly Father knew that, and so he sent her to you. I am sure he knew she would understand your mortal mission would be brief, and that you would be called back to Him to serve a greater purpose. I want you to know there is so much good you achieved in your short time here on earth.

I have seen the edges of your daddy's heart soften. He has unflinchingly served your mom and big brother with valor. He has been their rock. I witnessed a deeper strength and bond between your mom and dad. I watched as your Grandma Yardley embraced your mom as she stood next to you, longing to hold you in her arms. "It's what we do for our children," she told me; I then understood the sacred reverence of the role of a mother. It inspired me, and renewed within me the kind of mother I want to be.

Your Daddy's family has stood by him and your mom in ways that have undoubtedly strengthened their relationships with one another. Your Uncle Cameron reminded everyone of what it means to be family, and I was humbled by his kindness and understanding. Your Uncle Nathan was in Philadelphia for a meeting and flew home to Arizona, where I picked him up from the airport, and we drove all night to be with your daddy and mommy. The night we were there was the first time all of Grandma and Grandpa Kroeger's kids had all been together for a meal in over three years. The kids played, I got to meet your cousin Hayden, and all of the grown ups sat around talking and planning a trip to be together. You have united them in a way that I have not seen in the 11 years I have known them, and it was a privilege to be a witness to it.

Easton, you accomplished some amazing things in your short life. Things of eternal significance. I am so thankful for you, for the people you have helped us to be, for the things I better understand. I hope I can honor the things you have taught me, and live a life worthy of one day standing beside you, and all of your family, and enjoy the blessing of exaltation.

Until Then,

Your Aunt Kristi

5 comments:

Gina Baker said...

Kristi,
I'm sorry for your loss. Your post touched my heart even though I don't know any of the people of whom you spoke. I'm sure your words are going to be a sweet comfort to them, and I pray that God will bring healing and peace that only He can bring.
Love you,
Gina

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7

Balcena Family said...

Kristi,

Wow! I am so sorry for your loss. I too appreciated your words, and am grateful for you and Nathan that such a small person was able to bring so much good in such a short time. May the Lord bless and keep you. You are in our prayers.
Love,
Andrea & Parrish

Karen and Joe said...

so profound an powerful your words of your nephew. I'm sorry again for your loss, so glad that you were able to go and support your family like you and nathan did. It strengthened them and you as well. Families are forever and it will be a great reunion in heaven meeting him again!

Joce said...

Ok so now I'm all choked up about to cry...jeez Kris you can write. The way you put things into words is amazing.

Kroeger Klan said...

Thank you!!! You are so sweet and your words are so touching. We really appreciate your support and we are so grateful to be a part of your life. You are wonderful!! Thank you so much!