Wednesday, March 25, 2009

4 Minutes...

I have to go out on a limb and out myself. And then, I will have to repent. You see, shortly after Nathan and I got married, we went to his house in West Point, Utah for what we thought was going to be a family dinner. So me being...well... me, started in on how ridiculous Wrangler jeans and Roper boots were and how I could NEVER be a farm girl, and then a story of me was recounted of when we went to the Elk reserve and I thought you could actually pet the Elk. I know, I know. Well, turns out that the family dinner was actually a surprise birthday party for Nathan. As each dear old friend of Nathan's filed in in their "fitted" Wrangler jeans and Roper boots, my plate of crow pie grew.

Fast forward 10 ten years, and not so much has changed. My foot is often still suck in my big mouth, and I am still a city girl. But this weekend we got in touch with our Cowboy side at an old western town set up called Rawhide here in Phoenix. We saw the gun fight, witnessed the sage coach, enjoyed a rodeo, and my kids dabbled in the cowboy life.

It all started during the Rodeo when they announced that for a dollar kids 6 and under could ride a sheep. Having just watched kids riding the donkeys down the western front street, I asked her if she wanted to ride the sheep. Being the city girl I am, I didn't know that riding a sheep in the Rodeo ring was more like riding a small bull than a mellow donkey. Neither did she. But the 10 kids that rode before her tipped her off. Especially the one that was trampled by the sheep. She was a little nervous by that point. I told her she could do it, the rodeo clowns would protect her, and she really wanted the necklace they give you when you are finished riding. So, when her turn came, they picked her up, released the sheep from the gate, and we watched her go around that rodeo ring hanging on like a spider monkey in a skirt and pink cowboy boots. The sheep however, much like the bull in the rodeo, didn't enjoy the riding session and tried to buck her. The bruise on her chin still reminds her of unique encounter with the sheep's head.

Never one to be out done, Logan then rode the mechanical bull. His palms were a bit sweaty, his nerves tried to get the best of him, but he rode his 8 seconds to glory. Right before the bull bucked and he was flung to the mats below. Afterwards I asked him if he ever wanted to ride a real bull to which he replied "uh no way!" That's my boy!


Reagan even logged some pony time. And as we left, I told Nathan I had a really good time. I even mentioned we should go to the rodeo next time it was in town. We could make a date of it. As long as I could wear my flip flops and comfy jeans.

1 comment:

Karen and Joe said...

Hahaha, that's hillarious! I wish you posted a video of the sheep and mechanical bull! Joe and Nathan are so alike, he too had wranglers and boots that he loved to wear back in the day.